Let’s assume it just preview of Mac OS X Leopard, if you like this operating system and want to use Mac OS for daily use. please buy legal Mac OS Xversion, No guarantee if result of this tutorial will working properly in your box/machine and i’m not responsible if there’s a damages happen during or after installation process. However, Leopard officially worked only in Mac machine, others are illegal. If you understand and realized the risks, here we go.
First, make sure our PC passed requirements below:
- x86 SSE2 CPU (SSE3 for running PPC Apps),
- 512MB RAM
- 10GB free space on target partition,
- OpenGL suported VGA card, optional but i guess you won’t missing OSX desktop effect right?.
Second, because alot of variation of PC hardware spesification, we need to know deeply our hardware. this is important cause different hardware means different approach. Ok my pc spesification is:
- Acer 4715z with 1.4 Ghz dual core, CPU SSE3 supported
- 2 GB DDR2-SDRAM
- Intel GMA X3100 graphics card
- Acer CrystalEye Webcam
- Marvell. 88E8039 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller
- Atheros. AR5001 Wireless Network Adapter
- Intel ICH8 Family audio controller
And then, it’s all we need :
- Kalyway ( I still use 10.5.2, there is newest version out there. But damn, all ISO are dvd size, i think it will spent half century just for download newest version)
- pc_efi_v80 file, both files you can find with uncle google, sorry i forgot the link 😀
- A bottle of coffee, one pack biscuit, and your favourite music, this progress will take a little bit long, depending to your computer certainly
Lets gets party started :
- Boot your PC with Kalyway DVD, then press F8 for boot option. You can use -v option for displaying verbose output, first boot and hardware identification began
- After language selection shows up, choose your language (Ex. English), it will lead you to installation screen
- Before you installing system, choose your hardisk partition first, be carefull and ensure to format your Mac OS partition is type Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Press agree to finish
- Choose your partition to install, if you want to costumize package first choose costumize before install. configuration depend on your hardware but for safety, choose only kernel_9.2,speedstep on kernel. And only install what you need to install, if you don’t want waste your disk space, and unstable system
- Then, Install. Enjoy your coffee. restart your computer when finish
Now, configure dual boot option with ubuntu, i’m using Karmic (9.10) version, unfortunately this version now using GRUB2 version. I got litle problem to configure in that version. So i’m downgrade my version in legacy. You can read it here to downgrade. If currently GRUB-Legacy, below are step by step to create dual boot options
- Unzip pc_efi_v80, copy boot_v8 file into grub folder
sudo cp pc_efi_v80/boot_v8 /boot/grub/
- Add this line into /boot/grub/menu.lst file, hd0,4 is my linux partition, where /boot located. maybe different with your machine
title Mac OSX Leopard 10.5.2 kernel (hd0,4)/boot/grub/boot_v8
- Install new configuration, you can see my latest downgrade tutorial.
Restart your PC, if succeed, there will be a new line in grub menu, choose it we will configure Leopard now. if displayed partition type set 80, and it will take you to next step
- Pick your partition, don’t boot first, if you dream about beautiful welcome screen, hmm we will not see that. we will configure it via terminal.
- Boot with these option, we will go into terminal mode and disable dual core feature
-s legacy cpus=1
- Then after terminal opened type this command, it will cek partition and set set write mode for root partition
/sbin/fsck -f /sbin/mount -uw /
- Set root password and force system to recognize that we have finished installation
passwd root ## touch /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
- Now we can exit, and go into Leopard login screen
Yipeee, now Leopard is running in your PC , next tutorial i’ll show you how to configure devices like Sound Card, Ethernet Card and 3G modem.